Saturday, April 28, 2012

1992 LA Riots 20 Years Later

It's been an interesting week getting fully immersed back in to April/May1992. There are a lot of wounds that have not fully healed and people are still very passionate about the that time here in Los Angeles. Even re-visiting the issues and coverage of the '92 riots has opened up lots of discussion, I m glad that we Angelenos have not glossed over any of that.
Even talking with a stranger in a Mid-City store today about it, we agreed that calling it the anniversary of the LA riots seemed inappropriate.

It's been good to see new and interesting photos from the riots make their way back in to the world of publishing. The names of the brave and wild writers, reporters, and photographers from back then also bring back a lot of good memories.

I would like to thank the LA Weekly for their excellent support, and allowing my visual voice to be continued in this often strange and confusing new media world.

Was asked by a NPR reporter today if I have a favorite photo from back then.
I realized that I didn't. Probably the only story where I don't.
This will probably be the only story that I won't be unable to put behind me, sure many of my colleagues feel the same way.

Damaged floor tiles are all that remain from a riot damaged building on S.Vermont and Manchester Aves. It is still a vacant lot to this day.

Photo by Ted Soqui © 2012